Feb 13, 2015

Perfect Ten Top - BLOG TOUR & New Pattern Release

blog tour header Wohoooo!!! We're kicking off an amazing release of the most AWESOME knit top pattern ever: The Perfect Ten!!! To keep the excitement going, there will be an all-star blog tour the entire week long! The Perfect Ten is a jam-packed pattern with 6 bodice options, 4 sleeve options, 5 sleeve length options, 2 hem options, 2 neckline options AND is for sizes 12 months through girls 14!! Talk about the PERFECT pattern! If this is your first dip in the knit pool, have no fear- lots of great tutorials and tips will be shared throughout the blog tour. And, without further ado- we've got Jessica B from JAB Creations here to share with you how she does her stellar enclosed neckbands. She does almost exclusively knit items for her clothing shop, and they are always top-notch garments made with a great, professional finish! Keep reading, the blog tour links are posted at the end and you won't want to miss out!!! Blog Tour Schedule Hi, my name is Jessica and I am the owner and creator at JAB Creations Clothing. I have only been sewing for 3 years but took to knits about a year ago and truly explored and learned a lot. They are truly not a scary thing at all! My first knit project was a huge fail!!! I could not even get the shirt on my daughter due to the hole being too small. Needless to say I had many fails and gave up for awhile. However I gave it another shot and with the help of Little Lizard King I have truly learned the art of knit and bindings! Step 1: Cut your binding as indicated in the pattern. Fold short ends together and sew with a zig zag stitch creating a tube. jab Step 2: Find the 4 quarters of the neckline and put pins in those areas. The back seam will be your starting point. Take your Binding and attach it to the bodice matching the center back of the bodice to the seam of the tube binding. Then match the other 3 quarter points. Pin in between the points stretching slightly. Then sew with a zig zag stitch. It should look like this after sewn on. jab2 jab3 Step 3: Next you are going to fold your binding wrong side to wrong side so that it touches the edge of your bodice. Then flip it over and use the amazing magic clips. If you don't have magic clips don't fret, it is still possible with pins but your life will be a million times easier with magic clips. Fold and clip all the way around the bodice. jab4 Step 4: You are almost done are you excited! Ok, so last step is sewing it. I will be honest this is the hardest step but with patience and taking your time it is possible. First things first, if sewing with a sewing machine I am going to suggest this random foot (I think is a stitch in the ditch) that works wonders for me. you are going to be sewing on the right side of the fabric which can be tricky since you have to catch the binding on the wrong side. jab5 So go slow, use your fingers to make sure the bottom is covering your original zig zag stitch (great way to tell if it will catch), and just slightly give some tension as you go. Do not pull. Tension and pulling are different. For this I use a 3.5 inch length stitch. Since I use this special stitch in the ditch I have to move my needle all the way to the left on my machine. So I move it to the left, lower my presser foot so that is butted up against the seam of the binding and bodice, and I go slowly. Sew around and you are done!!! jab6 Did you miss catching areas? If so, use your finger to rub then somewhat over the seam on the inside and stitch just over that area making sure to stitch over your original stitches. That will allow it to look clean and barely noticeable on the outside. the inside is not always going to be pretty but it is functional. If you have a coverstitch machine try doing this technique with it as well! I have the janome 1000cpx and use my 3rd needle to the left and a center guide foot and it is magic! jab7jab8 Thanks for letting me give you some insight on my love of binding and knits! Good luck; you can do it!!!    
The Perfect Ten Knit Top Blog Tour
Friday, February 13th: Kickoff release with Little Lizard King, special tutorial by JAB Creations
Saturday, February 14th: The Cutest Babe on the Block with Harper Creek Boutique
Sunday, February 15th: Sweet and Stylish with Beri Bee Designs
Monday, February 16th: Oh Sew Chic with Daydream Believers
Tuesday, February 17th: Puppy Love with Stitched by Crystal
Wednesday, February 18th: A Knit Panel and Flutter Tutorial by Chasing Mermaids
Thursday, February 19th: A Colorblocking Tutorial by That's Sew Kari
Friday, February 20th: Sassy Style with Blink: Life & Clothing and a Tour Wrap up with Lily Shine Boutique

No comments: