Jan 16, 2015

Blue Ribbon Dress Sewing Pattern, Sew-A-Long, Day 5

Here it is, the grand finale of our Sew Along. Today we are going to attach the skirts to our knit bodices. Then we are going to fill up the album in LLK Cafe with all of our amazing photos!!!! 
And just in case you need a refresher you can find Day 1: here, Day 2: here, Day 3: here and Day 4: here.  

Is anyone else giddy with the thought of seeing this dress finished? My favorite part is to see how all of the fabrics come together and then see it come to life on my little pumpkin.  Well, let's get to it then.  

The first thing we want to do is quarter the skirt. Put pins in the quarter marks and then run a basting stitch around the top of the skirt where we will attach it to the bodice. 

Just like I did with attaching the ruffle, I like to run my basting stitches from side seam to side seam in the front and then again in the back. That way I have 2 sections of basted skirt. Then quarter your bodice. Make sure your bodice is right side out. Match up your side seams and if there is a front skirt, make sure that it is matched up with the front of the bodice. 

Slip the bodice (upside down) inside of your inside out skirt, so right sides are together (whew, say that 5 times fast!!) and your raw edges of the skirt and bodice meet.  Gather your skirt to fit the bodice and then pin your skirt to the bodice making sure to match up the quarter marks.  

Sew the skirt to the bodice and then finish the seams. Iron the seam up towards the bodice and then top stitch. Now all we have left to do is try it on and admire our work. YAY!

So I have a little confession to make. I am, for real, mom of the year. I think my daughter is the cutest thing ever (totally not biased at all, lol), so it is only natural I wanted her to model. Well first, my DSLR camera battery was dead. So I took out the still shot. That battery was dead too. Iphone to the rescue!!  Now for the mom of the year part. I dressed my precious baby girl in this oh so adorable dress and had her model it outside in the blustering wind with temps in the low 30's. Gosh it was cold. See... 


Awww, precious baby. She was such a good sport. We giggled and she twirled. And then we promptly ran inside and snuggled under the warm blanket.  So here is my Sassy Pumpkin in her LLK Blue Ribbon!! 

 
 

Well that is it for me, but before I sign off I would like to say a HUGE Thank You to Liz from Little Lizard King for allowing me to guest post on her blog and lead this sew along. 

Sewing is my most favoritest (is that a word??!!) thing to do in the whole wide world. And nothing feels better than to share that love with others. I hope you have enjoyed making your Blue Ribbon!

 PS - Do not forget to post your finished dress in the LLK Cafe album. There will be prizes! That is right I said prizes!!!! A little birdie told me that The Purple Seamstress is a sponsor - does that mean her fabulous fabrics are one of the prizes???  I think maybe so! 
XO
Natalie
 

No comments: