Jul 30, 2012

Customer Spotlight - Peaches & Brown Sugar

Welcome to another edition of our customer spotlight. Allow me to introduce you to one of the sweetest girls in town, Natalie from Peaches and Brown Sugar.

1. Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I am a mom of three; Kylie - 11, Josiah - 9, and Jazzlyn - almost 3. In my "real life", I am a pastor's wife and live in North Scottsdale where my husband and I pastor a church and also work with professional sports. My husband Travis has been the Phx Suns Chaplain for over 10 years, as well as for several professional baseball teams, so we are huge sports fanatics in our house! (P.S. Mr. Lizard thinks this is awesome!)

2. Is there a story behind your shop name?
The name, "Peaches & Brown Sugar Designs", was inspired by my husband's nicknames for my daughters.  If you have seen photos on my shop page, you will understand how the nicknames were derived and you will definitely know who is who!

3. What is your sewing story? Who/what inspires you?
I have always loved unique clothing and accessories, so when we adopted our youngest daughter, "Brown Sugar", I couldn't get enough of huge bows, headbands, and boutique clothing! I was inspired by several friends to begin making accessories myself. Before I knew it, I had friends and family requesting to purchase them and encouraging me to start my own shop. That eventually evolved into teaching myself how to sew and creating custom, unique, outfits for my daughters and customers!
I am continuously inspired by so many designers! I am so impressed with all the creativity that they have!

4. What was your first sewing project?
Once I decided to learn to sew, I did nothing else for months! I stayed up late every night for countless months creating and learning.  I went from free tutorials one month to testing over 10 patterns for pattern designers the next. It was an incredible way to learn to sew well and meet so many people in the handmade community!

5. What was your biggest sewing disaster?
Do I need to pick just one?! Haha!  When I first began to sew, I attempted a pair of pants and they took me FOREVER because it was only my 2nd sewing project ever. When I finished, I put the pants, and coordinating shirt, on baby Jazzy and realized I had placed the print upside down on the pants.- completely opposite of how I placed it on the shirt. It took me a week to even look at my machine again! :)

6. Tell us about your fabric stash, sewing space, and/or favorite sewing supplies.
My fabric stash is my favorite part of sewing! I admit that I am completely addicted to fabric! I love Jennifer Paganelli, Amy Butler, and Michael Miller designs. I love bright colors and patterns. One of my favorite things to do is mix and match fabrics, that at first glance you might not think would go together, but ends up making a design come to life in an original and creative way!

7. Aside from sewing, what do you enjoy doing?
I love to spend time with my family, work out, watch movies, go out with friends, and of course... shop!

8. What advice would you like to share with new sewists?
Just try it and don't give up! I never even touched a sewing machine until just over a year ago (in my whole life!) and I have come to love it so much. I have learned more than you can imagine by just doing it!  There are amazing resources on the internet to teach you how to sew. There are also incredible pattern designers that will answer your questions and help you learn while sewing with their designs.

9. Where can we find you online (FB, Etsy, blog, etc.)?
My blog is in its design stage right now! I can't wait to share free tutorials, incredible deals from boutiques, and point you to amazing designers in the handmade community!

10. Is there anything else you'd like to share with our readers?
I am a HUGE fan of so many pattern designers and boutique owners. Little Lizard King is one of the incredible pattern creators that has been vital in my sewing education. I encourage you all to get to know the designers you purchase from. You already love their products, now get to know them too by interacting with them on facebook and email! Many of them are SAHM's (stay at home moms) that are using their creativity and talents to support their families. I know I personally LOVE getting to know my customers and I know other designers love it too. Happy sewing!

Thanks, Natalie!! It's so nice to get to know you and yours a little better!! 

No comments: