Apr 12, 2011

Serger Techniques

Do you serge? Fishsticks and Fries has a great how-to.
The Fishsticks and Fries tutorial for detailing with sergers can be found here

 If you are not into serging, you will be at some point. Once you experience the amazingness of serging, you will make many sacrifices, including the lack of food, before you will go without a serger. 

Looking for a good starter serger?

I highly recommend the Brother 1034D. I use a relic of a serger a.k.a. known as Nana Lizard's 1980s hand me down. I'm quite happy with the serger I have, yet I was recently in the market for a friend. I bought of my fabulous pattern testers, also a college teammate/roomate a serger, after multiple recommendations and an analysis of online reviews. Check out the reviews. 

My girlfriend made me figure out the 1034 before she would pick it up. I was a little nervous to learn a new machine, but the concern was needless. The Brother DVD tutorial and you tube videos make it a very easy learning curve. 


So, if you have considered buying a serger, I would highly recommend the Brother 1034D. You will never go back to the non-serger lifestyle. 

Oh - check Craigslist first. I found a 1034D new in box on CL for half price, but since I was not buying for myself, I let the deal go. You might be able to pick up something at a great price second hand.

Good luck!

8 comments:

Jo (@ boogaloo) said...

So true. I bought a Kenmore second hand and will always have a serger. A perfect accessory for any sewer :)

~linds said...

This is the serger on my "someday" wish list! Happy to hear another positive review. Not sure I could convince my husband of that going without food thing though. . . lol. . .

Mama Lusco said...

Love my Brother 1034d! Bought mine at a Costco sale for $199 2 years ago. Now I can't imagine sewing apparel without it and why I agonized over the decision to buy it. The best $199 spent EVER!

Mama Pea said...

I have a Janome server that my mom gave me. She picked it up for $200 at an estate sale in Florida. It was barely used an my mom never used it in two years. I know how (sort of) a rolled hem on it and that's it. I really need to learn to use it.

Jan said...

I'm happy to hear the positive reviews of the Brother 1034d. I just bought one! Can't wait to play with my new toy!!

volbabyut said...

The brother is a GREAT serger...so user friendly and once younstart using one you will find you will want to use it on everything!!!!

The Labasan Family said...

wow thanks! I have the Babylock that's almost identical to the brother and love it! It doesnt have the coverstitch and I have been wishing I could do it. this is a workaround for that using a basic serger! You are forever making my life better :) LOVE IT!

Pookie said...

I own it but I misplaced my stitch finger, the only thing I have done with it so far is rolled hems.