Dec 30, 2010

Little Dresses For Africa

Are you familiar with Little Dresses for Africa? I wasn't.

One of my wonderful customers introduced me, and I couldn't be happier to share the news.
Little Dresses for Africa is a non-profit Christian organization who sends little dresses to girls in Africa.

If you are like me, you have WAY too many hand made dresses, but you're still itching to make more, and you can't send enough home with your bffs.

Are you part of a sewing group, or could tiy coordinate a group effort to sew dresses for girls in Africa?
(I so hope my college buddies and I are in a sewing group like this when we are older! Right now, we sew. Sometimes we sew together, and we are always chasing and containing little ones during the process. These ladies are so stinkin' cute!)

 From the Little Dresses website:
Here's the scoop.
"Simple dresses are... distributed through the orphanages, churches and schools in  Africa to plant in the hearts of little girls that they are worthy! Knowing the history of the girls in Africa and the difficult road that lay ahead, a small group of ladies returning from a short term mission trip to Malawi began to sew simple little dresses made out of pillow cases to be distributed to young girls through the orphanages in  Africa. With Little Dresses for Africa, there are many ways to provide help…from starting or hosting your own sewing group, sizing and packing little dresses, or donating financially toward shipping costs."

Please just mark Small, Medium, Large and X-Large on your ziplocs
Small-sizes 2, 3, 4
Medium- sizes 5, 6,7
Large-8,9,10
XL-size 11 and above
Mark babies and shorts separately.  Thanks so much!
New Boy’s shorts are also very much needed in any size.
  Any simple pattern is great!


If you plan to donate:
Please mail all dresses to:
Little Dresses for Africa
24614 Curtis Dr.
Brownstown, MI 48134
734-637-9064


I'm so excited!!! Thanks, Joy for sharing the news!

All pictures on this post (except the package photo directly above) are from Little Dresses for Africa.

P.S. If you want to win a LLK pattern, just link a photo to ANYTHING you've made using a LLK pattern to my facebook fan page. I'll draw a name before the new year.


3 comments:

Mama Pea said...

I am familiar with it because someone I work with sent a whole bunch of dresses over last year and posted her photos on Fickr. Also, one of my colleagues is doing some work in Africa....very cool....He goes to Tanzania to work on a project called Hero Rat. They are teaching rats to sniff out and identify land mines so they can be dug up and disarmed, and they are teaching the rats to sniff out TB in people. My colleague is helping do research on effective rat training procedures. Here is a link to a story about the project if you are interested. http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/stories/tanzania605/video_index.html

Anyway, my friend at work is interested in helping in Africa as a result. So, she sent about 30 dresses over. She also made a bunch of stuffed dolls and sent them over to Tanzania with my colleague as Christmas presents for the kids last year. She used the Katy Kitty and Mikey Monkey patters from mmmcrafts (http://www.etsy.com/shop/mmmcrafts). They were so cute. I ended up buying the patterns. (Great patterns.)

One of her dress photos can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/slipstreamfish/4546579323/

One of her dolls can be seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/slipstreamfish/4474112505/in/photostream/

She has lots more photos in her photostream once you get in there.

I haven't been able to participate yet. My schedule just hasn't allowed it. I wish I could do more "giving" projects. I always feel like such schlep that I don't do more for others in my sewing endeavors.

Mama Pea said...

Sorry for my typos. Forgot to proofread before I punched "publish."

Mama Lusco said...

This is a great charity! Our church sewing circle is planning a day to sew for them :)